Adding RAM to my laptop

• Hey guys!

I want to add more RAM to my laptop. I'm asking for some help because I don't know anything about adding stuff to a laptop, and I'd like to buy something compatible xD

This is my laptop: LDLC.com - High-Tech Expérience

And I want to add 4 GB of RAM.

This is what I got in my laptop currently:
    DIMM1: SK Hynix HMT451S6AFR8A-PB 4 Go DDR3-1600 DDR3 SDRAM (11-11-11-28 @ 800 MHz) (10-10-10-27 @ 761 MHz) (9-9-9-24 @ 685 MHz) (8-8-8-22 @ 609 MHz) (7-7-7-19 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-16 @ 457 MHz) (5-5-5-14 @ 380 MHz)

So I guess the important part is:
    SK Hynix HMT451S6AFR8A-PB 4 Go DDR3-1600 DDR3 SDRAM

I looked a bit on amazon, and that's what seems to be good:

Crucial CT51264BF160B Module de mémoire 4 Go DDR3 PC3-12800 SODIMM 204 broches 1,35 V: Amazon.fr: Informatique

Crucial CT51264BF160BJ Mémoire RAM 4 Go DDR3 1600 MHz PC3-12800: Amazon.fr: Informatique

And maybe this, because I think it's the same as what I currently have in my laptop:
    Hynix HMT451S6AFR8A-PB 4GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600MHz non-ECC Unbuffered CL11 204-Pin SoDimm 1.35V Low Voltage Single Rank Memory Module at Amazon.com

Would these 3 be compatible with my PC? If yes, any way to know which would be the best? Or will it make almost no difference at all if I choose one or another?

Any help is appreciated :D

__________________________________________S_____I_____G_____N_____A_____T_____U_____R_____E__________________________________________

Any problem with a 3xP' server (server down, download loop,...)? - Feel free to mention it in the shoutbox so an admin can take care of it.
    ______________________________________________________________________________

3xP' TS3 IP: ts.3xP-Clan.com | Click here to directly join it.

• Easiest thing? Desktop xD

Im not a laptop man, i play desktop and always will. Check the compatibility of your motherboard. If you can tell me the motherboard, i might be able to help a little more :P

I will say this though. Adding more and more RAM isn't the best option for gaming all of the time. Most often, the best thing to do is upgrade the CPU Chip. But, with that, you often need to upgrade more hardware, getting expensive! Anything above around 8gb of RAM is overkill in my opinion. Unless you're doing some heavy duty stuff on it :P

Hope i helped, even if just a little bit!

Jack

• Thanks to you 2 for your answers.

@Jackasaurous
    The motherboard is MSI MegaBook GE60 (MS-16GF) (I used AIDA64 to find info)
    And the motherboard chipset is Intel Lynx Point HM87, Intel Haswell (if ever that matters :P )

The thing is, I bought this laptop this summer, but it's already lagging sometimes, and going sometimes really slow when I open, for instance, 2 browsers and 1 game (well I have a shitload of tabs opened, but still ^^ ).
    And I have pretty decent hardware:
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4200H (Dual-Core 2.8 GHz / 3.4 GHz Turbo - cache 3 Mo)
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M

So I was wondering why it was slow. I checked Windows Task Manager, and I noticed I quickly reach 70% or more memory usage.

I have only 4 GB of RAM currently, so I guess that's the problem. My GPU and CPU need more than 4 GB I think ^^ Actually almost every single person who bought this laptop and left a comment on the website said that it was a very good laptop, but they added 4 GB of RAM because 4 GB wasn't enough.

Well, from what Yuri said, the 3 "memory bars" I gave the the link of are compatible with my laptop, so except if you have something to add, I think I'll go for this one:

Crucial CT51264BF160B Module de mémoire 4 Go DDR3 PC3-12800 SODIMM 204 broches 1,35 V: Amazon.fr: Informatique

:P

__________________________________________S_____I_____G_____N_____A_____T_____U_____R_____E__________________________________________

Any problem with a 3xP' server (server down, download loop,...)? - Feel free to mention it in the shoutbox so an admin can take care of it.

• It may depends on how many ram slots you have.

Idk hwo it works in detail but in desktop mainboard are 4 Slots.
    Slot (1 and 3) and (2 and 4) are working in a dual channel.
    So it would be the best to have the same ram module here [same vendor, same spacs].

Quad Channel is an improved version of dual channal. Therefore you'll need 4 equal modules.

I couldn't find much information about your motherboard. I think it has 2 slots. So i would by the equal ram slots because of the dual channel thing.
    Multi-channel memory architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Other question: You've a 64 bit Windows? Some Vendors sell their notebooks with 32Bit which causes some problems with more than 4GB ram

• Ugh, that becomes complicated xD

Yup, I got a 64 bit Windows 8.1. I actually bought it (60€ or so) because this laptop came with FreeDOS.

So, you think I should buy Hynix HMT451S6AFR8A-PB 4GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600MHz non-ECC Unbuffered CL11 204-Pin SoDimm 1.35V Low Voltage Single Rank Memory Module at Amazon.com ?
    Looks like it's the same as my current: SK Hynix HMT451S6AFR8A-PB 4 Go DDR3-1600 DDR3 SDRAM

Because actually, the shipping for this one would be EUR 40,74 O.o DUnno where that product comes from lol. Furthermore I'd have to wait a lot.

So I think I'll go for this one instead anyway:

It'll just be way cheaper (and quicker).
    Unless you think it can actually cause problems not to have the 2 same RAM bars?

Edit: Bought it :D (the Crucial one). I just couldn't wait for the other one, way too long shipping, and especially way too expensive shipping :D Thanks guys for your answers!

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von UFaced ()

• I would say its the processor. It's only dual core, and that isnt enough for multi tasking. To put it into perspective, i have an 8-core processor. If it is a problem, the lag and speed, i strongly suggest getting a desktop.

Let me know if you want any advice. I know PC hardware quite well, and have done for some time. You can get a build similar to mine for around £600 now

• I've thought about this solution, but I juyst got used to having a laptop, and it's way easier for me as I sometimes have to move from on e house to another and it would suck if I had to move my desktop, or to let it and not being able to use it.

I know my CPU is not that good compared to my GPU, though anyway I think it's still pretty decent for the use I have of my computer. I play only LoL and CoD4, and I think my CPU is good enough to handle the use of let's say, 2 web browsers + microsoft word + Skype + maybe 2 or 3 other programs, but nothing huge.
    And when I open Windows Task Manager, my memory usage is always far above my CPU usage. Example: right now, I just switched on my laptop, opened Firefox (with a ton of tabs... not "loaded" though, dunno if it still have a big impact on memory usage), and the Task Manager says my CPU usage is 30-35%, while my memory usage is already 60-65%.

So it really looks like it's more of a lack of RAM issue.
    Anyway, I'll add my 4 GB of RAM when I receive it, and I'll let you know if things are going more smoothly :D

And if it doesn't change anything, well I'll just stick with my current laptop anyway, I just bought it this summer and I don't want a desktop PC for now :S

• I think, for that simple programms you don't have to Upgrade your Laptop. Cod4 is Running with 2gb ram, same Frames at 4gb, or 8 gb...Your CPU with dualcore and 4 Threads is able to manage your system. I starting my cod4 and Firefox, Teamspeak and 2 other programs and 2 of my 6 treads cpu were in sleep-mode...The Ram was up to 3,2 Gb...

• I think, for that simple programms you don't have to Upgrade your Laptop. Cod4 is Running with 2gb ram, same Frames at 4gb, or 8 gb...Your CPU with dualcore and 4 Threads is able to manage your system. I starting my cod4 and Firefox, Teamspeak and 2 other programs and 2 of my 6 treads cpu were in sleep-mode...The Ram was up to 3,2 Gb...

Well I still have problems, so it must come from something :/
    Actually once the game is launched I reach the max FPS easily (60 in LoL and usually 125 in CoD4), and everything is usually fluid. The problems usually happen when I launch a game, for example LoL, I sometimes get huge freezes (like over 30 sec freezes at the beginning of a LoL game for instance). Or sometimes in the middle of a game, I get big lag spikes for no apparent reason. But the fludity/FPS when I don't have lagspikes is totally fine (125 FPS in CoD4 at all time - that's the minimum I wanted when I bought this laptop, and that's what I get :P ).

And actually, I just found out I had a process/service launched at the PC boot, which was using 30% of my CPU at all times (a printer communication related service - which apparently was always looking to establish communication via wifi with my printer, even though I rarely use it...). I disabled the automatic launch of this service, and now my CPU usage is usually 1% to 15%, while my memory usage is always around 70% with just a few programs launched (Firefox in the program using almost all the memory).
    So I'm sure the problem doesn't come from my CPU (unless the Windows Task Manager is a liar :P ).
    Anyway, I'll see what happens when I add 4 GB of RAM :D

• firefox will eat more ram xD.

A slow HDD could be a reason for random lag spikes too

Hmm that's a possibility, sometimes when I check Windows Task Manager I see that the use of my HDD is at 100% (quickly goes down to better % though). Apparently the use of the HDD usually comes either from System, Firefox, or my antivirus. Would a SSD fix this? I've been thinking about buying one - I saw some 120 GB SSD at around 50€, though I'd have to reinstall windows etc and I'm lazy :P

Anyway I just installed my new RAM, so first I'll check if things go better :D If nothing changes, I'll think about buying a SSD maybe. I don't want to put money and effort into something if stuff goes smoothly with the new RAM, the boot speed etc thanks to a SSD would just be a plus ^^

• antivirus software could be a problem.

It maybe checks files in the background which can cause lags.
    Try to disable antivirus and check what happens.

• In my opinion antivirus is useless.
    • It warns you when it's to late.
    • It has false positive warnings.
    • It sometimes causes pb kicks
    • It sucks hdd speed, ram

#brain.exe 4 the Win

• Well after using my laptop for about 2 weeks with the RAM added, I can say that things are much better :P
    So it was definitely the lack of RAM (most of the time at least) which was causing the problems.

antivirus software could be a problem.

It maybe checks files in the background which can cause lags.
    Try to disable antivirus and check what happens.

• In my opinion antivirus is useless.
    • It warns you when it's to late.
    • It has false positive warnings.
    • It sometimes causes pb kicks
    • It sucks hdd speed, ram

#brain.exe 4 the Win

True. Though it can be nice to have it sometimes for some downloads maybe, or just for time to time verifications of the system. Maybe it's possible to disable the launch at boot, and only enable it manually once in a while when needed or for a verification.
    So most of the time it won't use the PC ressources. I'll see what I can do :D

A SSD is a good way to speed up your laptop.
    If you ever used one, you don't want to have anything else...
    My BIOS needs more time to start up, than Windows ;)

Haha well, yeah a friend of mine showed me how fast it was to switch on and off his laptop, and I must say, I'm a big fan :D
    But well it's not really needed for me, it would just be a plus for me, maybe in the future. I don't wish to put money in this for now ^_^

• Like mirko said - for me antivirus is useless. When u're downloading sth u must use your brain to find out what is happening. Simply example - some kind of exploit from steam. Guy sending u a link to download a screenshoot showing some stuff from cs:go. U downloading it and open that file. Problem is, that u diidn't check a enlargement (because meybe u didin't think about checking that or u didin't have selected option to showing that all time). Ofc file opened paint, but because that was an exe file - it added to tasks. What this exploit was doing ? Sending messages to probably all friends from steam with that link. Ofc it's not a virus, simply exploit and it won't doing sth worse (like trojans or sth like that - btw. trojans - simply way to try ddos some1 from acquired computers), but it was a simply expamle how u can simply be fucked up because of yours "stupidity". But I think one thing can help u with dat: sth like System monitor (from for example Rainmeter - image will be send in this post). You can replace your antivirus by Rainmeter with Illustro skin (rainmeter takes 1-2% from cpu and has got about 14 mb with these all overlays on ss). Really useful thing.

With ssd discs there is one problem - price. 1TB good hdd (like wd blue disc) - about 40 euro. SSD disc 128gb (like intel 540) - about 50 euro. Desktop computers - simply u just buying sata cable, connecting that and wuala - u don't want to worry about space - most cases have got many space for 3,5 cal discs. Some cases has got ofc space for 2,5 cal discs, but also u can easily ount ssd in 3,5 bay because of adapter from 3,5 to 2,5 ;) But laptop ..... It's laptop. Most laptops have got only one slot for disc. Ofc, u can buy ssd disc with more than 128 gb space, but .... money ;(

P.S Sorry for long post - i can talk about computers hours or write poems about dat ;)
    P.P.S And sorry for any mistakes - I was writing fast, so some sentences can not be logical etc. Sorry once again for that.