Sony Vegas 11

• Hey everyone!

So I'm trying to find some good render settings for Vegas 11 for 1080p videos. I have tried a few, but the rendered video is really laggy. The preview on Vegas looks fine, and while actually recording I am still at around 120fps. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks everyone :)

Jack

• The best quality you could get is by using cl_avidemo since there is 0 frames lost, compared to fraps where there will always be a few frames lost. You open the demo and you do cl_avidemo 300 and it will make 300 ss/sec, which is good because you wont have half images so you wont loose quality if you render a 60 or 30 fps video. Also 300/60 = 5 which means you can slow down the vid up to 1/5 = 0.200 without losing any quality. Then you use Virtualdub to create a vid out of those screenshots. You set in Virtualdub's settings the framerate, which is 300 then you render with lagarith lossless codec. Once you get the clip you edit with vegas and you render it with the Xvid Codec.

Here are my settings for 60 fps :

Vegas Settings :

http://gyazo.com/3f6f87647e53f3cd2f2ff50a6aed1615

http://gyazo.com/fb3ed619d93372acc5314d2afd68fda3

Xvid Codec configuration :

http://gyazo.com/4f28a5dc6e39a5662a15798ea8c34c6f

Note that Zones must be blank

Then you click on calc in order to change the framerate at 60 fps :

http://gyazo.com/61a2a7bf169345ab55fdef25c146dfdd

Note that you'll have to rewrite the bitrate after configuring the calc.

Result at 30 fps : Strike // Very Hard Solorun - vidéo dailymotion

Result at 60 fps : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKt5U5ET16g

Have also in mind that the best quality on PC doesnt mean it will be the best quality for youtube.

Hope that helped!

• @Jack

If you want to make CoD4 edits, 120 FPS will not be enough anyway to be honest. For edits, when there are slow-mo parts etc. you will need at least 300 FPS. ;)

@Hardcore

30 FPS is way better. I personally have tried 60 FPS once and I know it was bad idea. In my opinion 30 FPS (or 29.970) looks best for CoD4 videos. :)

Btw. You Xvid settings are good - approved. :thumbup:

• So, thanks for the comments so far guys!

I just tried recording with avidemo. Here is what i have found

I tried to record at 120fps (cl_avidemo 120 i think). First, it took like 30 minutes to record around 5 seconds. Surely that isn't normal?

Second, when it finally recorded it all, i opened it in Virtual Dub. All seemed good. Set the frames to 120fps. Compressed the video. When i put the compressed file in Vegas it was super jumpy. Could that be the compression setting i used?

If you want to know what hardware i have got - AMD 8320 8 core 3.8 ghz, XFX 7950 3GB, 16GB RAM being the bulk of it. If this is the issue, please tell me. I have better hardware ready to install!

Thanks again for all the support guys, much appreciated! <3

• The time it takes to make the screenshots is theorically due to your HDD's capacity to create a lot of files etc... But seeing your Hardware it shouldnt take that long. I have a much worse computer than you and it takes me around 10mn to get a 10 seconds clip with cl_avidemo 300. With 120 it should be really faster. Are you using a different timescale when you use cl_avidemo?

About Vegas, what do you mean super jumpy ? If you rendered the clip with Lagarith Lossless codec, the file is really huge and totally uncompressed, making it hard to see the preview in full quality. Try lowering the preview quality and it may go smoother (I personnaly use the worst preview settings and it's still editable). Also the more you'll play the file through vegas, the smoother it will get since your computer will keep in memory the frame already shown. But again, seeing your Hardware you shouldnt have this issue.

• I write to a HDD.

To be sure we're on the same line, before rendering with Vdub, you have to set the frame rate in video ---> frame rate ---> change frame rate to (fps)

Then, go to video ---> compression ---> choose Lagarith Lossless Codec. You can configure it to enable multithreading which will increase the rendering speed. Lagarith Lossless Codec is a default compression codec, you should have it.

Then, file ---> save as avi... And that's all

• I /record my clip as normal, then open with Cod4 Player

When the clip opens in cod4 player, i make sure i have my fps set to /com_maxfps 120
    Then i record /cl_avidemo 120 (i think thats the command)
    It takes forever to record it. And i mean forever!
    Open in Vdub and set the framerate to 120
    Compress (i dont have the Lagarith Lossless Codec, i might have to update my Vdub?)

Please do tell me if im doing it wrong. I am such a noob at this, haha xD

• @Jack

Your avidemo work is taking way too long time - I agree. In fact moviemaking it's not as easy as it looks from a side. Here are some useful things about CoD4 moviemaking:
    - don't record in 1080p - it's useless.. Why? 99% of viewers will not even turn on 720p on YouTube, that's truth.
    - I would recommend you recording in 1280x800 resolution - it's the best for 16:9 crop with black bars
    - best FPS for edits is 300 or higher (I recommend 500)
    - after you record your footage with avidemo, import screenshots to VirtualDub and save it as .avi uncompressed - why uncompressed? Both: Lagarith Lossless Codec and uncompressed files have the same file size, but uncompressed it's always in best quality.

You also said:

Zitat von Jack

When i put the compressed file in Vegas it was super jumpy. Could that be the compression setting i used?

The answer is yes. Xvid is an amazing codec. It has amazing ratio file size/quality, but.. it has some problems with editing software. I have no idea why, but Vegas just "doesn't like" Xvid files. It's working slow and is super jumpy, as you said. Even if you are working on SSD (tested on myself). If you will save in VirtualDub your video as uncompressed as I said - there will be no problem in Vegas. Everything will be working very smooth and work on your video will be the thing you really enjoy to do.

Use Xvid codec, but only for final render in Vegas, after your video will be done and you will just save finished project.

Btw. Do you guys think I should make an thread as tutorial with all that basic stuff for moviemaking? Like recording, usefull commands for CoD4, binds, crops, resolutions, project settings, render settings, codecs, compressions, useful and easy effects in Vegas and more.. I was already thinking about it, but I wasn't sure if anyone would need it. If there is a need for this - just write, I will do it. Of course step by step, with screenshots included.

• No need to bother checking your com_maxfps , just let it at 250 it doesnt change anything.

It's weird it takes you forever to record. It takes time for sure but not forever. I really dont know what is the cause.

About Lagarith lossless codec you can download it and install it from here : Lagarith Lossless Video Codec

I dont think you're doing something wrong. About the low speed, maybe check if all your drivers are updated? Apart from that I have no idea what could be the cause.

• Thanks both for your comments, they're real helpul

@MYST.

I assume you mean this is the command cl_avidemo?

I will make sure to try all of the suggestions above tomorrow after work. If all goes well I will start with different cfg's - not that i have any idea how to use them on separate profiles..

Thanks again guys for your suggestions and support. Need anything in return, just ask and i will see what i can do xD

• To me, 16:9 crop with black bars is probably best tech for promod montages, but totally inadapted for cj.
    Also the best fps to use are those where you can divide by 30 if you want a 30 fps final movie or 60 if you want a final movie at 60 fps. 500 is bad because during the compression you'll have cuts frames : 500/30 = 16,666... You need to get an entire number. Not mentioning the fact that it takes a shit loads of space on your hard drive :)
    But a tutorial would be very welcome by a lot of people, I've gotten into rendering cod4 files a few time ago and it's really really hard to get a proper quality.

• @Jack

Yes, I was talking about FPS in cl_avidemo command.

@Hardcore

There are more crops for CoD4 moviemaking. My favourite is 16:9 with black bars, cropped from 1280x800. Maybe, because I'm Promod editor. I also really love oldschool crop - 1280x1024 cropped to 16:9 without black bars. :D

I'm recording with at least 500 FPS (sometimes with 600, sometimes with 750 and sometimes with 1000), because I'm used to use a lot of slow-mo in my edits. For example: original file recorded at 500 FPS with slow-mo at 12% of real speed gives you 60 FPS (500*0.12=60). It's enough for short time visible slow-mo part in edit (mostly around 1 sec or less). And, if you will render it at 30 FPS it will be still really smooth. ;) If I wouldn't use a lot of slow-mo, of course then, 500 FPS is not needed and I agree, it's not good.

• - don't record in 1080p - it's useless.. Why? 99% of viewers will not even turn on 720p on YouTube, that's truth.
    - I would recommend you recording in 1280x800 resolution - it's the best for 16:9 crop with black bars

Some time ago I found out that you get much more pictures/sec when you record in non fullscreen mode (r_fullscreen 0)