How do you see the future of the codjumping community?

• Hello,

After I read the following post, I really felt like making a thread about this.
    In case you haven't read it already, here it is:

Ah don't get me wrong, it's still my favorite game as well. It's just getting harder and harder to take this game seriously as the player numbers are declining and the game has reached sort of skill cap, which is really hard to overcome. I'm not saying there isn't more to be done, but at this point the amount of effort required to advance the game to the next stage is simply not worth, because the expected value you get out of this is so incredibly low compared to what you can possibly achieve with this kind of effort in different areas of life, let it be other games or other IRL things. Sure, if you're relatively speaking new, the passion may be still really strong as there is a lot to explore in this universe, which keeps you hooked, but I don't think the game still has the competitive aspect once it had back then. One of the biggest reasons is the fact, there aren't enough new maps, and the ones coming out do not tend to feature new techs/bounces, and even if they do, they are just rather brute-force bounces without any complex ideology behind it. The bounces are the same, map structures are the same, and funnily enough they even look the same in many cases, just featured with different styles of textures. This is a 10 years old game with a relatively speaking small community, and the game hasn't had meta breaking advances since years. It has gotten super stale sadly :/

Even though this quote comes from a meme thread, it really is a spot on description of a major problem in codjump I think.
    And to be fair; it's something I've been thinking about for around 2 years now, indeed, way too long...
    But I don't think it would be a practical idea to create a novelsized post working out the entire thoughtprocess I've had.
    Yet it is spot on one of the major reasons why I haven't continued certain cj-projects which I've started a year or even 2 years ago. (A very good example is the montageproject TIME)
    So what would I like to achieve with this thread?
    Well, just to start with I would like to ask you to talk about the way your codjumper experience looks like.
    This includes your engagement about subjects such as 'playing the game (speedrunning, finding montagejumps, playing maps)', 'working/contributing on cj-projects', 'working/contributing on cj-videos/montages', 'the community overall', your motivations and demotivations regarding the game.
    For me: the more you can elaborate about it, the happier you would make me.

Even though I really have a gut feeling that this topic will die really quickly, I felt like giving it a go anyway.

FrisbeeSky

• Thinking like that is also a big part of killing the CoDJumper community and your own motivation.

If u work on a big project and always ask, for who am i doing this shit, will kill yours and others motivation. Maybe even leading into you stopping your project
    multiple people thinking like that will lead into less content, less content leads into less players.

The best way to keep the community alive is contiue working, even if the cj community is small,
    its not that u could have made yourself a big name while doing cj videos in the past, so it shouldnt be your goal now either..

I can understand loosing motivation, but i think this way of thinking and the toxicness which people had in the past, are the 2 main reasons why CJ feels 'dead'. (which btw ppl were saying since 5 years)

• Ye the point here is more maps, maybe a standard like 1 map per month and for the skill cap its an interesting topic. Is it enough to increase the lvl of the actual bounces or we need to try to find some new techs? the first thing im thinking of is that noone ever done an halfbeat map only or a bhop map only even if this techs are really used nowadays (ik it should need a lot of effort in testing but maybe its worth trying)
    The other thing is that we need more people to play the servers, i think there are still a lot of players in cod4 and the only hard thing is get them interested in the mod (thinking of dr)
    Lastly more maps = more bounces (possibly innovative) = more montages = more people watching them
    Thats what i think for now

• Well, fre4kZ was right with a lot of stuff, that's for sure.
    As me, i enjoy making contents for cj and trying to get new players motivated to keep playing cj.
    Also playing the game in a row for a very long time can cause problems like these, that you just
    run out of motivation to do it.

I always preferred to take a little break from playing cj, and focusing on mapping, editing or other stuffs.
    Tho the game is realllllly old, i think this is the best cod and the best mod ever created ( if you disagree, this is only just my personal opinion)
    I'm also playing to see friends on cj, or just sit down and try out some jump or help others out.
    Tho i think there are a lot of things that needs to happen, and a lot of opportunity in the mod that waiting for release.

Tho fre4kZ post can seem like demotivating, and maybe others think as well, i think you just need to find what you really like doing in cj, either if you playing to become the best/better or just having fun with friends or maybe editing videos, mapping, making speedrun events, or anything that you find fun.

I always wondered how a whole mod, community based on a bounce bug, that still entertains ppl up to this day.

As Frisbeesky said, i would like to see your point of view about this ''situation'', and i like to say that as long as there are new players, and who take care about stuffs, cj won't die!

btw fris, finish that montage bc there are a lot of ppl who would want to see it. Take it as motivation :D

• an halfbeat map only or a bhop map only

mp_race was originally a bhop only map and it still has a bhop way, which is unfortunately bugged. And on the halfbeat, this sounds interesting, but almost all halfbeat jumps are possible with normal strafe techniques, which makes it useless to call it a halfbeat only map.

And although the community might be small and 'dying', I feel like it's more alive than ever before. A lot of content is being created, think about the 3xp_movie mod, bouncebuilder and the recently updated stats page. All the montages that are supposed to be in the making and the weekly series on the 3xp channel.

There might not be a great amount of maps, the reasons are probably obvious but i'll go and tell them anyway. It's hard to make a good map, you never know what people like. It also is very time consuming, which makes it a job for someone who likes to dedicate him/herself to it. And I've seen this a lot, where maps get released after all the hard work and fixing errors in radiant (lovely program :]), and then the first thing people say when playing the map: "This sucks" or "Gay map" and then they leave. Which is not motivating for the mapper to make any other maps.

I've also seen this happen on some videos, where an edit gets a high amount of dislikes, but feedback is never given by the haters, which is also demotivating, because it might be nice to know what they disliked and why. This again, isn't any good for the community.

I hope this helps :P
    - Bunny

[2017-07-25 17:17:37] Funk Attack: bunny called u weak for only giving 30min ban
    [2017-07-25 17:17:46] 3xP' AlterEgo: can you ss it

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Bunny ()

• mp_race was originally a bhop only map and it still has a bhop way, which is unfortunately bugged.

Yes i knew, thats the only exemple of tiny map based on that tech,for the bugs noob said to me that it was a mod/cod4 problem but i actually dont know if its possible to create an improved mod to fix it

Zitat

And on the halfbeat, this sounds interesting, but almost all halfbeat jumps are possible with normal strafe techniques, which makes it useless to call it a halfbeat only map.

I've never tried and i know how it works just a bit, but since i see a lot of people do things quite impossible without rpg maybe its possible to create something (perhaps im wrong on this point)

Zitat

And although the community might be small and 'dying', I feel like it's more alive than ever before. A lot of content is being created, think about the 3xp_movie mod, bouncebuilder and the recently updated stats page. All the montages that are supposed to be in the making and the weekly series on the 3xp channel.

Yes but if u think about it its just the people in 3xp that are doing this job, and if people start leaving this clan and the game cj will prob die on youtube

Zitat

And I've seen this a lot, where maps get released after all the hard work and fixing errors in radiant (lovely program :]), and then the first thing people say when playing the map: "This sucks" or "Gay map" and then they leave.

Yes this is an "internet thing" of saying whatever u want when u want that doesnt help at all if they leave it like that, instead if they explain or suggest something maybe its not that bad
    And about radiant, yes its a bugged old program but at least its not that hard to learn to use it. Idk if its possible but if someone could create a cool updated STABLE version of it would be great (im thinkin of that bo3 mod tools)

• And although the community might be small and 'dying', I feel like it's more alive than ever before. A lot of content is being created, think about the 3xp_movie mod, bouncebuilder and the recently updated stats page. All the montages that are supposed to be in the making and the weekly series on the 3xp channel.

Yes but if u think about it its just the people in 3xp that are doing this job, and if people start leaving this clan and the game cj will prob die on youtube

This it not just related to cj, but I want to post this anyway:
    that's one of my personal motivation problems. I'm a person who wants to see people using the stuff I/we made (cj mod, stats page, movie mod). As leader of this clan I'm able to see the graphs for website and server activity and it makes me very sad to see a decreasing graph over the years.

Also a lack of other cod4 modders in our clan makes me feel sad. It's much more fun to talk with people who have also ideas and are able to implement themself.

• For me this game is the only game i ever played that much. Im really not that much into games but Cod 4 got me kinda addicted :D. I would do much more if i could and had the time to do it. I also often try to motivate the map creators to finish their projects. For now there are more than 10 maps in progress and thats only the once i was allowed to test. I bet there are some more actually. If this game ever dies i will prolly sell my pc since i dont need it if theres no cod 4. I really hope that the community will stay and im willing to do anything i can to increase the playeramount.

I wrote this from my phone so there might be some mistakes which im sorry for.

• I was gonna write a long post here, but kept scrapping it. So I'll just make this quick.

Sorry if this sounds mean, but I generally stopped caring about the CJ community, don't care about new maps, new players or new updates. As long as there is a server where I can spend my 3ish hours a week on, I'm happy. And even if I ever get the motivation to be active again I just hope that it goes away quick. Don't get me wrong, I still like the game, it's been one of my best gaming experiences ever, I just don't like it as much as I used to. And as for the 3xP' forums, the memes thread is honestly the only reason why I'm still active here. ;)

As for future of CJ I think it will stay alive for a long time. But eventually, everyone will quit and there won't be anyone to replace the ones that had quit.

• At least the cj community hasn't turned into shit like the DR community.

Better to have a smaller community that all has a similar vision for the mod then a big community where everybody want something different.

Also a lack of other cod4 modders in our clan makes me feel sad. It's much more fun to talk with people who have also ideas and are able to implement themself.

On mirkos note if anyone want script help with something in there map I'm willing to help if i have time. More challenging the better has I'm currently learning to code :P

• This it not just related to cj, but I want to post this anyway:
    that's one of my personal motivation problems. I'm a person who wants to see people using the stuff I/we made (cj mod, stats page, movie mod). As leader of this clan I'm able to see the graphs for website and server activity and it makes me very sad to see a decreasing graph over the years.

I think the main problem here is that many people don't even know about it, on server there are a very few players who know about the statspage I think..

How about put a box that you have to click away manually on the screen telling players about our YouTube channel, statspage and forum? The box could show up like every 10th time you join the server or something, or maybe after x hours? ( at a mapchange or player idle ofc so it doesn't bother players game if they're speedrunning etc )

Another small change I would do if I was the one who decided would be to produce videos to YouTube continuesly. As it is now we have ywcd, but it's being released every 2nd week. For me it doesn't have to be a sick edit every week, just anything with cod content ( a cool bounce, some bhops or whatever )

You could also request edits from the players on the server who aren't in the editing team. Same with the demos, it actually makes me kinda sad to see there's almost only players from 3xp who is being in the edits, would be fun if some "noob's" jumps also will be provided.. I can totally understand the editors tho, that when they put alot of effort to make a good edit, they probably want the harder jumps as possible to make the edit look even more sick :)

Beside this, I agree with the guys above, there are many good points in this thread!

Wrote this text from my phone and there are most likely many mistakes, I hope you will be able to read it anyway :D

• Zitat

Another small change I would do if I was the one who decided would be to produce videos to YouTube continuesly.

Like how do you think that is possible? I cant decide about other people motivation to do videos, we have too less people who have the motivation to continuesly producing videos including myself..
    u cannot change that this simple.

The youtube channel depends 100% of ppls motivation, if there are people with a good idea on a non edit series or so were open for this and any other good idea, we never said ah only good edits on our yt, or just 3xp members on our yt. I mean it already improved if i remember that Drizz and me did BOTW alone, and now there are alot of guys taking par on it.
    But also now i see a big lack of motivation which leads into alot sundays without a new ep..

No people who are motivated and work = no content

Its not a concept problem or so, its as simple as that.

• Yes, ofcourse.
    What I meant was that instead of making a 5min long edit you could do something easier, or maybe another content like cs. I think a big reason beside motivation is lack of time, and with a shorter/lighter edit it might be easier to keep the episodes coming each week.

And you know editing is not for 3xp only, so do I, but do the non-3xp players at our servers? ;)

• But also now i see a big lack of motivation which leads into alot sundays without a new ep..

this problem wont resolve itself right? is this lack of motivation due to less people watching videos/less maps/less jumps etc.. ? if the answer is yes then thats the point to fix

Zitat

In my opinion WCD dying bc of the lack of demos.

thats a point to start

• No people who are motivated and work = no content

I agree with viruz. I would love to see more videos about other gaming things on our youtube channel. CS:GO, Bf1, some cool random lucky kills, whatever. But we need people who want to edit them.
    I think shorter videos are hard to achieve. The most non CJ Related Edits are max. 1 min - 20 sec or more of intro cinematic. In my opinion, we shouldn't have a 1/5 ratio of intro to edit, but that's not my business.

So, let's go a step further and assume that we've enough Gameplay footage (some sick csgo multi kills, some funny bf1 gameplay, whatever), who wants to put them in a video?
    If you say "the guy who recored it, could also make a video from it", but would that be good?
    I don't think so. If you take me as an example: I can record simple videos without any cinnematics, just the last x seconds of gameplay before the cool thing happens (multikills, etc) and put them together, but would anybody watch this for more then 2 or 3 videos? idk. and if you want this kind of vids, what's the difference between our youtube channel and the other 1000 channels who have "Csgo, Bf1 funny moments" vids on their channel.