Buying a new laptop - Help :D

• Hey guys!

I need your help :D
    I'm willing to buy a new laptop (yeah, a laptop ^^), because the one I currently have (HP pavilion dv7) is overheating really easily and even when I'm not playing, it makes the sound of a freaking plane. And also indeed, he is becoming more and more slow as fuck and that's slowly beginning to get on my nerves :D (I "formatted" it a few months ago but it didn't change much, so I guess it is just becoming too old).

So do you have any idea what laptop would be good value for money? (let's say, something which would be like the OnePlus One equivalent for laptops :P )
    I'd like to put around 400€ in it, but I can go above if there is something that would really have a great price/quality ratio though. Actually I'm not quite sure what the price is for a okay computer nowadays?

Kno#removed that I'm not planning to play any game asking for a lot more resources than CoD4... Would be good if I could get to 333 steady on stock maps though xD

I don't know anything about computer hardware basically, graphic cards etc, I have no clue what is good and what's not, and that's why I need your help ^^

Also 2 side questions:
    - Do you think warranty extension can be any good or it's most likely crap?
    - Can I play CoD4 with no problem on Windows 8? (And do you like windows 8 or prefer 7?)

Any help appreciated, thanks guys! :thumbsup:

__________________________________________S_____I_____G_____N_____A_____T_____U_____R_____E__________________________________________

Any problem with a 3xP' server (server down, download loop,...)? - Feel free to mention it in the shoutbox so an admin can take care of it.
    ______________________________________________________________________________

3xP' TS3 IP: ts.3xP-Clan.com | Click here to directly join it.

• I'm more of a desktop guy and not a laptop guy, but I can recommend the HP Pavilion 15-n204 15.6" HD. It's a little over the price that you said, but the price/quality ratio is good. I don't know the price where you live dough, but here in Norway it is 489 Euro.

CPU: AMD A-series A4-5000 @ 1,5 Ghz, Quad Core
    RAM: 8GB, 1600 Mhz
    GPU: AMD RADEON HD 8670m, 1GB DDR3 SDRAM
    HDD: 500GB

With the HD8670m you can actually play BF4 on low setting with a decent fps, so it should be able to run cod4 with the 333fps that you wanted :D

I have successfully played Cod4 on Windows 8 with no problems, but windows 7 is still my favorite OS.

• Hey Sea

Thanks for the advice!
    Though would you happen to have a link to a page about this laptop in English? (or French :P ) I can only find pages in languages I don't know and prices in money I don't know :D (though I see you edited with the price^^)

Also any other suggestion from anyone is appreciated so I can compare different stuff :P

__________________________________________S_____I_____G_____N_____A_____T_____U_____R_____E__________________________________________

Any problem with a 3xP' server (server down, download loop,...)? - Feel free to mention it in the shoutbox so an admin can take care of it.
    ______________________________________________________________________________

3xP' TS3 IP: ts.3xP-Clan.com | Click here to directly join it.

• Hey,

I wish I could help you.
    The problem is, that I don't observe the market. So I don't know which laptop is good or bad.
    I only start to observ the market and read in into benchmarks and reviews if I want to buy one.

I also have other specifications/prices for a laptop.

If I start studying, I'll buy a new laptop too, but this laptop needs long battery power, a 16'' display, a good cpu, less graphics and 8gb ram. I need the laptop just for coding and university, but it should play a movie. Also I don't need extra featrues like "optimized sound system" or special system apps which improves the "feeling" for stupid users.
    I've a good PC for gaming so I don't need a good laptop for it too ;-)

I would say, that you need a laptop with 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM,
    if you have a 22'' display, you can buy a laptop with 15/16'', if not you should buy one with 17''.
    If you want to use it often without power supply, you should buy a laptop with good battery if not, you can buy it with less battery.
    Also you shouldn't buy a laptop with stupid extra features like a nice design or extra media controll panel. It's useless and you won't really use it.
    Btw. my fav. producer are Asus and HP.

Acer is also ok, but I had small problems with a media controll bar which doesn't work correct after OS upgrade.

If you want to save money, you can buy a laptop with Win 7. I think it's a bit cheaper then windows 8.
    Also good is a laptop with no os. You can install it yoursellf and save money ;-)

• Hi Ufaced,

as student I also bought my own laptop (Asus X57V) and after 3 years I had the same problems.
    My laptops was overheating and I did not find the problem. format c:; clean up FAN and so on didn't solve it.

That is why I switch back to desktop PC and it was very cheap.

To have an overview of current products on market you can ask Kenji. He works in this market segment.