Beiträge von frisbeesky

Hello,

First of all it's worth mentioning that I consider 2 phases in the progress of making the montage TIME:
    - the democall period: a period of time where demos get collected and selected for the montage.
    - the editing period: where the selected demos for the montage are getting edited into one video.
    I have been thinking about the following for over a month, since it's a pretty hard choice, but I made a descision.
    Yet I am saying this with a giant gutfeeling in my stumic and throat:

I gonna have to extend the democall period of the montageproject TIME.
    Due to personal real life things I am currently not able to start the phase of editing it.

The democall has been running since April the 11th and normally a democall period shouldn't be that long:
    It extends the total period of time where a montage is in progress, and because meanwhile most of the other potential montagemakers are waiting for it's release, there are barely any (big) montages getting released.
    In my experience of playing codjump for 3,5 years I notice that big montages provide some sort of motivationboost keeping codjumpers play the game, thus keeping the cj-community alive.
    The reason why most of the potential montagemakers often wait until another montagemaker is done with his montageproject is mainly to prevent having identical demos being in 2 montages which could reduce the entertainment of either one or both montages and might also reduce the motivationboost coming from those montages.
    Meanwhile montagejumpers, who provide the demos for those montages, often send their demos to several videoprojects of montagemakers just to increase the odds of getting into a video since montagejumpers have to deal with the 'pressure' from fellow montagejumpers who soon or late might perform one of their nice jumps too.
    And personally I can confirm that, because I know how it feels to see a jump in a montage performed by someone else who also found that jump while you were really proud of your demo including that exact same jump.
    To deal with that problem as fair as possible most of the montagemakers often wait for 'their turns' to make a montage; when only one montagemaker is making a montage, it's easier to justify that problem; mostly the first person to send in a specific demo gets to be the one in the montage.

With that said, the fact of me saying that I gonna have to extend the democall period of the montageproject TIME due to personal real life things, creates some problems.
    The 1st problem is it causes an irregularity of motivationboost to help keeping the community alive.
    The 2nd problem is that it's a well known fenomenon that montagejumpers sometimes steal montagejumpideas they see from others on servers and that montagemakers sometimes don't even care about other montagemakers in a way I described previously and sometimes don't publically announce that they are making a montage (I guess to supprise the cj-community even more), so as a montagemaker you can never be sure who is also making a montage.
    Both of those effects put even more pressure on montagejumpers and montagemakers.
    The 3rd problem is because of that, the patience of montagemakers is getting less and less.
    The 4th problem is because of that again, the urge from the motivation of editors to make a (montage)video to entertain themselves and others (or to provide that motivationboost) is increasing more and more due to just described 2nd problem.
    The 5th problem is that, meanwhile the 4th problem is happening, some montagemakers don't want to take away the entertainmentfactor of montages which are currently in progress thus they don't include the most insane demos, yet this causes the 1st problem and is also a bit responsible for the 2nd problem.
    And now the circle of those problems is complete, and me saying that I gonna have to extend the democall period of the montageproject TIME due to personal real life things is making those problems even bigger.
    That's why it took me more than a month to weigh out the consequences of the choice I had to make; Can I still work on the montage while dealing with those personal real life things?
    As said above, I made a choice by delaying the phase of editing, meanwhile increasing the phase of asking ('calling') for demos which has been going on for so long...

So, how does this continue?
    This is what I suggest:
    I have sent every participant who sent demos for the montage a message via Steam letting them know which of the demos they sent are selected for the montage and which not.
    Some of them have already replied.
    The way I selected the demos per participant was to pick out the montagejumps which are worthful enough for the montage and do which I feel like do not have much potential to get found compared to the kind of montagejumps people are trying to perform right now.
    Please consider for yourself per demo how much you would like to see that demo into TIME, what do you think the odds are of your demo getting performed by someone else?
    It's a question I don't like to ask, because I realise I might lose extremely valuable demos in this way, but I do realise that I have to face the consequences of the choise I had to make.
    Still if you want to support the project what I would extremely appreciate, you could send the demos which I selected as not approved to other current videoprojects instead.
    I would like to emphasise that the democall is still running and will be still running for some time: you can still send demos for TIME, and the better the demos are, the higher the odds are that you will be in the montage when I will start the editing part.
    For potential montagemakers who waited for the release of TIME I would say: don't wait for the release;

I am not able to estimate how long it's gonna take before I am able to start the editing phase.

For the final words I would like to apologize to everyone who is affected by the problemstructure I described which I feel like I made bigger due to the choice I made.
    I would also like to apologize for the fact that I can't make the promise come true that the montage would be released this year.
    Anf as being a montagemaker I realise that that is irresponsble behaviour; I truely want to apologize for that too.

inb4 until Tuesday I won't be able to reply due to christmas things with family etc.
    For so far the clarification about the montage TIME.

sincerely,

FrisbeeSky

This sounds dumb and selfish now (I know that) but I am this one christmas present no one knows whats inside.
    You can throw it away and never know what could have happened or you open it and see whats inside :D
    I am sure you will be suprised - even if it might be worse then you expect.

inb4 applying with that point of view is never going to work out...
    By bringing in all kinds of reasons to not accept you does not create any curious interest by others to make them first ask themselves 'oh shit... I wonder what kind of quality could he provide for the team? :o' and then put those others on a track to say 'yes' to your application to figure out the answer.

For me it differs every once in while, currently:

1. mp_descent_v2: very relaxing to play to quickly finish in 5-10 minutes
    2. mp_galaxy: has some challenging jumps and routes to do in 10-30 minutes.
    3. mp_mayan_ruins: beautiful map to run through (worth mentioning: mp_zone, mp_atlantis but I got fpslagg on those so ain't in my top 5 really :p)
    4. mp_mystic_v3: got a lot of challenging jumps to do in 30-90 minutes.
    5. mp_the_gap: I think this map from 14-4-2011 according to the filecreation date is just worth mentioning by being the smallest 'map' ever for so far I can quickly come up with. xd

I had alot of family problems had to move house and shit like that had to sell the pc for money untill i could afford to play it witch is why i had to leave without saying anything i have played on the server for like 80 hours in past 1-2 weeks and i am always going to be active now Just come on no need to be shady about it man

I guess when you joined 3xP' it was relatively quite easy to join this clan.
    In the past year that has changed since the cj-team started to get too big for comfort relative to the kind of activity of members, so that's why you should redo the applicationprocedure.
    If you truely are going to be active again in codjump in ways which fit to the expectations of cj-members and mainly the leaders when someone is a member here in 3xP', then it shouldn't be a too big of a deal to just follow the applicationprocedure.

And to help you to increase the chances of getting in the team again:
    If you can succeed in at least 2 of the following things you have a great chance of creating great potential in the point of views of the cj-members and the leaders:

- Create and maintain contact with the members and leaders (via steam and teamspeak for example) and also with the people playing on the public cj-server: helping people who need help for example.
    - Record demos of montagejumps and send them to Your Weekly Codjumper Dose, you don't specifically need to be member for that. (in case you don't know what that is you could ask members what this is, in this way you can efficiently make a good start with the previous tip.)
    - If you can edit a video or: mention that in your application.
    - Do other things to improve the cj-community and/or this clan.

Use the tips I just mentioned and this to create your application:
    Application Process for 3xP' Codjumper-Team [Read Before Apply]

Good luck,

FrisbeeSky

And on top of that there are the actual players that don't even visit this board and it's actually the group that's impacted the most by this suggestion, I have already asked players on the server about it and had many responses that agreed with what I am trying to achieve.

Well, bring these people to this board/topic, create a structural discussion and show the leaders of 3xp that it's worth caring about and working on the KTK-community.
    Once you're able to succeed that I think that only then you will gain interest from the leaders go around the table with them and start making, planning and doing the descisions needed.
    Good luck realising that.

FrisbeeSky

Zitat

For the reasons you are probably well aware of, there is no point in trying to find out what people think about this and if they care at all.

What's the purpose of making such a discussiontopic if you don't even know whether there are even people who care enough to work on the problem which is getting discussed lol?

Zitat

of course some are gonna argue that it's unfair to them etc etc, but in the end it's up to the party in charge to decide what is best for the server.

And you people who are gonna argue will (still) come to the server? I feel like it would even kill the server more if 'the party in charge' is gonna make descisions which the players don't like :3

Zitat

Do you? Why don't give some constructive feedback on my idea then?:xD

Because I got way too much experience with topics like this one on these 3xp forums:
    spending a shitton of energy and time trying to work out the most sensible and logical way to fix a certain problem people are complaining about, just to try be a helpful person, but when that thinkingwork is finaly done and it's time to start working on actions to solve the problem:
    complete silence OR the person/people who spent most time and energy to come up with actual solutions get flamed, being it in the same topic or in another in some sort of way.
    Then the topic dies because nobody replies thus in the end everyone who spent time caring about the topic have wasted their time.

instead:

To make a topic like this succesful I would start 'measuring' how many people actually care, make up a poll like this (in a new fresh topic maybe):

Please tick the statements which apply to you:
    1. I care about making KTK active again.
    2. I don't care about making KTK active again.
    3. I am not motivated enough yet to help KTK become active again, for me it depends on the futured hype around it.
    4. I am not motivated enough to help KTK become active again.
    5. I am motivated enough to make KTK active again but I don't know how I can help.
    6. I am motivated enough to make KTK active again and I might know how I could help.

You could also approach people personally (on Steam for example) by proposing this poll to them via chat or so and keep up the voteresults among the results of the public poll.
    Make sure, if you would do that, to ask those people first whether they've already filled in the public poll, because you obviously don't want double voteresults.

Once quite some people filled in the poll you can conclude for youself whether it's worth continue spending any energy and time into this.
    Good Luck.

FrisbeeSky

Zitat

... (It's actually deeply rooted in our society, people are less likely to make a change to improve things then just complain and do nothing).

Overall I might come off as a selfish dreamer ...

I completely feel ya.

I think the mod could be really funny. But I think about one problem: the different player skills. Correct me if I'm wrong, but atm. we've players from Easy up to Inter plus (or whatever is the highest skill level). When you design the maps for Inter guys only, then it will be very lame for the easy guys. If you do it for the easy guys, then the game will be to easy for the Inter ones. I've no real solution here how you could provide fun for a wide range of skill levels

That's why I suggested that the mapstructure should be more going towards having a flat terrain with holes in it so you can strafe to bounces and just come up through the ground so you will have a garuntee landing and then boucing is truely to just get faster through the map. Emphasising 'towards' meaning that maps shouldn't be completely like that because that would practically make every map the same, but it is at least a guideline for how maps could look like so the map is fun for all-skilled codjumperplayers.

Zitat

Ok so the gamemode works with 1 player starting out as an infected and the rest are just runners who try to survive.

I assume that the runners have guns to kill the infected. I feel like this would turn out extremely OP when you would play this in a codjumperenvironment, also considering that bulletimpacts slow you down in mid air too disadventaging the infected. Maybe instead of guns try to come up with a system where a runner has to 'outrun' an infected to survive so it becomes more 'micheal myers'-like, for example making a certain area a runner has been 2 seconds ago deal some damage to the infected when the infected people chase a runner. Obviously the room can only get triggered once every 10 seconds or so, so runners ain't gonna camp, or another system where a runner really has to focus on 'outrunning' the infected people so you still keep the codjumperpart in the gamemode.

Zitat

This would be meant to be played in small maps with ez-inter level bounces with lots of different jumping opportunities to allow a proper chance to the infecteds and at the same time some really cool jumps to the cj pros.

I feel like if you would think about how the environment would look like I would more think of not too many different heightlevels, more towards having a flat terrain with holes in it so you can strafe to bounces and just come up through the ground so you will have a garuntee landing and then boucing is truely to just get faster through the map. But the problem here is: what if you fail? maybe when you fail you get randomly teleported within a certain radius of any infected?

I don't want to write a novelsized text already but I feel like there is quite a lot of things which we gotta take into account to make this gamemode work. :P
    It's not an impossible idea though, it's just really hard to make things balanced.

FrisbeeSky

Zitat

a shop? I mean hell, ill be okay with typing like .memberrpg 1 or something like that, dunno about a god damn shop xD

Not with real money though, just with points which you can get in different kind of ways probably.

I can kind of see where this idea is going. Does this idea have some similarities with 'tag' or 'micheal myers'?

an example of micheal myers, skip to 2:50 to see a good example:

I feel like it's worth bringing up the questions 'how is teleporting going to work out such as the save and load positions?'
    How do the maps need to look like?

Well for my fps to go from 333 to approximately 120-180, something is up with the map, not my pc. I can play almost every map perfectly fine (excluding big maps like Atlantis and 4 Seasons).

Already went on devmap and played with some commands such as /r_specularmap?
    Idk if that's gonna work, maybe your pc has some fpstrouble to handle some of those commands regarding graphics?

atm it shows your speed in x and y direction.
    I think what @frisbeesky wants is a graphical tool how good is your strafe. Or better: how much you have to turn in one direction to get the optimal strafe

no, I don't want a strafeguide display telling me how well my strafe is like jh has which, by the way, isn't always an accurate thing to use since you don't always have to keep the acceleration to the max to perform a jump. Esspecially by small jumps.
    I only want those speedometers and accelerationmeters as I explained. :p

I've ever been thinking about an ingame testexperiment using movementmeasurements such as the 'speedometer' which is a feature currently included in some of the current codjumper mods. Maybe there is a way to check out exact values in some sort of scripts or enginefiles but I am personally very ignorant about that..
    Nevertheless the ingame testexperiment would require 'accelerationometers' and 'speedometers' to properly run the experiment which could give some valuable answers to how bouncing and the other cj-mechanics really work. Maybe even up until a point where it's even possible to calculate whether a jump is possible or not or even going to a point where it's possible to calculate the difficulty of a jump.. but well.. that's an idea which is far ahead to realise.

First we would need a modmaker or scripter who has the knowledge, motivation and time to create an 'accelerationometer' and a 'speedometer' for the X-axis, Y-axis, Z-axis, XY-axis, YZ-axis, XZ-axis and if possible the XYZ-axis. the thickened ones for sure since you could calculate the speed and acceleration of the other axisses once you know the speedmeasurements of the thickened axisses.

As far as i remember there were some maps which caused download loops. To prevent that i always put the iwd into the mod folder. Mybe u did that too. Thats all i know about it.

Well, I never knew it would prevent downloadloops so at least I didn't put it in there.
    Is there a possibility that the person who put the mod in the server put those iwds there so whenever I join the server and the server compares what files are in the mod I have and it sees that I don't have (certain) iwds that it forces me to donwload them? (sort of like a dropbox effect but then when you connect to the server)

Hello,

I got another question regarding something about where something is useful for:
    I notice that in some several codjumper mods I have extra iwd-files which seem to be for certain maps, but not all maps.
    Here is an example of one of the mods:

It's something which often occurs by mods which I used when I was playing on cod4 1.6 so I don't know if that could explain somethings.
    Also I have played plenty of maps with that mod back then and I notice there is not a iwd for every map.
    When I open any iwd file there is an 'image' folder and when I open that folder I get to see some .iwi files which seem to belong to the map, here is an example when I open the iwd of mp_mystic_v2 in the mod:

I haven't tested yet whether I could still play a map or run a demo of a map which has a iwd in the mod while using the mod but maybe someone could give some more information/explanation about why there are special iwd-maps in some cj-mods.

inb4 thanks,

FrisbeeSky