Cod4 X18 won't let me start cod4...

• Hello,

I don't know how people like cod4 x18, but for me it gives a shitton of problems all the time when it comes to playing other people's demos who recorded them with cod4 x18.
    Anyway, I recently tried to play some demos which have been recorded with 1.8 and therefor I normally could switch easily from 1.7 to 1.8 by replacing the mss32.dll file with the 1.8 one, same method would work when switching back to 1.7.. however.. since a windows update (for the record, I have windows 10) I can't even start cod4 with 1.8 at all, getting this error:

And at this point I really don't know how to solve it, even after googling for 45 minutes..
    Anyone having an idea?

FrisbeeSky

• Alright, I have no idea why it happends to me.. but whenever I just explained a problem publically or to someone I very often seem to find the solution shortly after.. the problem is fixed (for as long as nothing happends on my pc which is gonna destroy cod4 x18 on my pc *cough* windows 10 update *cough*...)
    anyway, this is how I fixed it:

I deleted the files from x18 in my cod4 folder (by comparing the files in the cod4 x18 zipfile) and made sure I had a ms32.dll and a miles32.dll in my cod4 folder so I had cod4 1.7 again.
    Then I started cod4 to check wether I indeed had cod4 1.7 again.
    Then I closed cod4.
    Then I made a back up of my ms32.dll and miles32.dll file into a folder I named '1.7 dll'.
    Then I started cod4 1.7 again and joined a server which would offer me the option to install cod4 x18 (MSG cj server has that for example, no play advertisement meant...)
    Then I accepted the offer to install cod4 x18, that made my cod4 download something in the loadingscreen, then it closed my cod4 with the message that I should restart my cod4.
    Then I started my cod4 again and it immediately made me join the server.
    Then I quited the game.
    Then I made a back up of my ms32.dll and miles32.dll file into a folder I named '1.8 dll'.

And with that I am able again to replace the files from either the '1.7 dll'-folder or the '1.8 dll'-folder to start either 1.7 or 1.8.
    I don't know if it's a 'healthy' method but it works.. at least.. for now.. because cod4 x18 is just shit..

FrisbeeSky

P.S. cod4 x18 really is shit..

• Have you tried installing CoD4X on a clean install of CoD4?

Nah.. I am afraid that even when I first would back up all the things I want to keep such as demos and cjmods etc. that I will lose certain things which I didn't back up because I don't know in what file(s) it was/they were.. I will ever try that though, just trying to reinstall my cod4 cleanly again, but not while I am working on cj-projects.. :P

• no

• Nah.. I am afraid that even when I first would back up all the things I want to keep such as demos and cjmods etc. that I will lose certain things which I didn't back up because I don't know in what file(s) it was/they were.. I will ever try that though, just trying to reinstall my cod4 cleanly again, but not while I am working on cj-projects.. :P

Can't you just make a new folder with a clean install and have a folder with 1.7 and one with 1.8 (yes it might take some space but i guess that's not a problem)

[2017-07-25 17:17:37] Funk Attack: bunny called u weak for only giving 30min ban
    [2017-07-25 17:17:46] 3xP' AlterEgo: can you ss it

• Can't you just make a new folder with a clean install and have a folder with 1.7 and one with 1.8 (yes it might take some space but i guess that's not a problem)

To cleanly install cod4 I think I first need to uninstall some cod4files (for example the ones in appdate or so?) idk.. and like I said I don't want to lose important shit from cod4 xD