Beiträge von beerus197171

This doesn't explain how or where in the code bouncing happens, only that it's there somewhere in the source code that's available online for Quake 3 or this unvanquished game and doesn't require access to CoD4 source code.

It's just that someone with either knowledge of C (Quake 3 Engine) or C++ (Unvanquished was ported over to C++ instead of C for improvement purposes) needs to have a look and understand where it happens!

But it's something :)

So here's an update:

There's this free engine (or game) called unvanquished that started their engine by using the Quake 3 Arena engine. And I found a map where it has these tubes you can bounce off.

If you search the github 'unvanquished' you will find it and I think it's currently at version 49.0 or 50.0 and you can download the .exe, it has instructions on how to make it work. Then, when you load the game, start a server on the map 'Thunder'. When you run around on the top right you have a mini-map and also name of locations. Go to a big room called 'Generators; and there should be 3 massive generators with tubes going into the ground.

If you run into them really fast or jump into them at the point where they are most slanted you bounce like you do in CoD. Since they are so low to the ground you can also just sprint into them and you will bounce a little too.

To make this even more obvious, go to console and type /g_speed 600 and then sprint into it. The bounce will be even bigger.

In conclusion, it seems that bouncing was already inherent within the engine and was not created by changes Infinity Ward might have made.

@Noob

I think you took that literally lol.

it was a joke, hence the smilies. All I want to find out is how bounces work, not for anyone to do the work for me. I already have someone for that. But I can't afford a re-write. The only thing I can offer is a mention and royalties upon successful kickstarter funding.

So I'm not looking for anyone, just to find out as much information as I can. There will be a playable demo on Kickstarter if it evert gets to that stage :)

Lighten up!

@heat

That's only a little bit right. CS is based on an even older version of quake in which this issue was patched out. They then completely overhauled the engine itself for CS so it's pretty much an entirely new engine.

That bounce bug originates from the Q3 engine, it has something to do with the collision. The easiest but most costly and timely task would be for someone to re-write that Quake 3 engine which is in C into C++ and make it a plugin for UE4, so basically porting it over.

But who feels like understanding 10,000+ lines of code and then re-writing it all in C++? :D any offers? ;)

It's an eSports project, not going to be open source, but I'm basically trying to create a game that's good for both casuals and competitive gamers alike, much like ProMod was but with improvements and changes. Modes like jumping would be available and modding.

I've not much to show, only what I know in regards to movement from looking at the q3 movement code myself and testing in-game. The first task is to achieve a project with the movement implemented.

There's not much of any actual physics in Quake 3 or CoD4, only character movement. Other then that, what affects a character for the most part is gravity and friction. Gravity default in both games is 800 (-800). Friction is 6 on Quake and 5.5 on CoD4.

The jumping in Quake 3 to CoD4 got changed and a limiter was put on it. So in Quake 3 when you jump whilst you're in the air you can press jump so that when you hit the ground you automatically jump again. In CoD4 they removed this so you can't queue jumps.

Strafing is the same. Basically most movement mechanics from game to game are almost identical with minor changes added to CoD4. In fact from CoD1 to CoD2 and then to CoD4 the movement didn't really change much, only the sprint button. Strafing is the same, you still have over bounce, etc.. but in CoD4 the newest element to movement was the bouncing. I'm not sure if that's due to how some assets were built with really steep slants etc..

Interesting to see what infinity ward bothered to change in regards to the engine :) most effort was put into the visuals and new functions like sprint, particles, bullet penetration, ai, visuals but nothing to physics or player movement for the most part hehe.

Yeah I've spoken to this guy who also had a port of the quake 3 movement for UE4 too, but he hasn't released it yet and plans to as a package for licensing. Even with that, I'm not sure if the bug would be reproduced (bouncing) and it still needs a few values changing to get it to work like CoD4.

I already have a few people who can give me a movement component for the character that works like Quake 3 so I can modify it to CoD4, but that still wouldn't include or inform me on how the bounces work.

It's more or less the last piece of the puzzle to work out!

If I were to recreate it from scratch, is there anything I should know about how bounces work that I should know?

p.s. I've heard some theory regarding something to do with collision, but I'm not sure if it was explained the same way. I need to find someone who genuinely knows why it happens!

Hey,

It's not a jump game. I'm using the movement / feel of CoD4 (for an FPS), I have everything down already other than the bounces. I wanted the bounces to work like they do in CoD4 (almost identical), and the best way to do it is understand why it happens or if that's something visible in the original movement file or something that became possible in CoD4. Otherwise it's very hard and timely to use trial and error to code from scratch something that works the same. If instead I consult people who already understand and can explain why it does, it saves much more time.

For example, in Quake 3 the closest thing I could find to bounces were something called Overbounces, but they function differently to how bounces do in CoD4, but I assume have something to do with why bounces happen in CoD4 too.

Hey,

I've already looked at that file (although I'm not a programmer), and although it seems that they barely made any changes to the way the movement works, I think a few changes were still made. Most of what existed in the movement file of the Quake 3 engine can be found within the CoD4 console as a command that can be tweaked.

For example:

1. g_speed (walking speed, and then using base walk speed in CoD4 they scale it, for example sprinting is set to 1.5 scale which is 50% extra speed on top of the base speed)
    2. Friction (responsible for slowing down the player when releasing any directional key)
    3. Jump Height
    4. Jump velocity

Even strafe is readily available and the theory behind how it works is explained online, but so far nothing on CoD4 bounces. Other variables added to CoD4 which didn't exist in Quake 3 are two commands called linear and angular drag.

This is only through doing my own research as a non-programmer!

Hey guys,

I'm creating a game in UE4 (or rather having people create it for me) and I wanted to recreate the bounce bug as it works in CoD4. Since you guys specifically do jumping and bouncing in CoD4 and have made mods around it, I wondered if you had any information regarding how that bug works or how to reproduce it?

Is it inherent in the Quake 3 movement engine as is or did the way the bounce works in CoD4 come from the changes infinity ward made to it?

Any information by anyone knowledgeable in this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.