Mapmaking Tips&Tricks

• Hello,

This topic is meant to share or learn mapmaking experience regarding making cj-maps including tips and tricks worth knowing while making maps in bouncebuilder_v2, radiant or any other place regarding mapmaking.
    This topic is basically based on the idea I had regarding making a compilation of information regarding mapmaking in a certain spreadsheet (you can find that idea here).
    Perhaps this topic could be a great source to use if anyone in the future would care enough to realise that idea.
    Anyway, things you could find in this topic are:

- People’s ‘cj-philosophy’ of making cj-maps.
    (Keep in mind that you, as a mapmaker for example, might not agree with other people’s opinions but that is good since it at least made you think about the given perspective(s) before you didn’t agree with it/them, which, in the end, still enhanced your perspective on the progress of mapmaking.)
    - Compilation of YouTube tutorials and channels.
    -Written tutorials.
    - Art/design/theme tips.
    - Just some tips mapmakers like to focus on while working in radiant:
    *certain (hidden) tools you might not know.
    *(link to) shortcuts/a manual.
    *the pattern of steps when making a map.
    (for example: making the spawn, then the design of each way, then the jumps of each way, etc. (disclaimer: I am not a mapper so I don’t know, I just uttered out an example))
    - Tips jumpers and testers like to focus on while working in bouncebuilder_v2:
    *how to prevent repetitive jump themes.
    *weight of difficulty and effort required to perform a jump versus an entire route.
    - Links towards often used scripts (with credit).
    - Errorsolutions
    (please don’t discuss errors, only put solutions here, make a different thread for a certain error and put the solution in this one (by quoting the post from the other topic for example).
    - More things which you may add to this list in this post if you are authorized to do so...

I figured perhaps if someone who cares enough and is authorized to edit this post could quote the ‘best posts’ (more than 5 likes or so) between the next to lines:

_______________________________________________________________________________

*insert here*

_______________________________________________________________________________

Keep in mind that the only way this topic could turn out successfully if you, especially if you’re a mapmaker, would make posts regarding certain things called out in the list above.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that this topic is not meant to discuss what guidelines exactly make up a good cj-map, no, it’s only meant to present a variety of guidelines a mapmaker could focus on. It’s no use to start a discussion since that is not healthy for the activity of this topic and at the end of the day it’s the mapmaker’s opinion which is going to win when he/she is working on their cj-map.

I hope this topic in combination with:

- The ‘Share your Cj-projects&ideas!’ thread:
    Share your Cj-projects&ideas!

- The ‘Map Showoff Thread!’:
    Map Showoff Thread!

- The ‘What Are Your Top 5 Favorite CJ Maps?’ thread:
    What Are Your Top 5 Favorite CJ Maps?

could help out with a more strategic way to increase cj-map activity by sharing you philosophy/experience about it.

Let’s hope for the best,

FrisbeeSky

• These are my personal tips when you are making jumps in bouncebuilder_v2:

What you should focus on when making a jump:
    Use more (challenging) obstacles in a jump than just a startplat, a bounce and a landplat:
    1. More blocks (which you need to avoid to make the jump)
    2. More walls (you need to use to make the jump)
    3. More containing your strafe to make the jump and to prevent overjumping.
    (So not all the way perfect acceleration required to make the jump)

Those make up the quality of a jump.

What you should focus on when making a route:
    A ‘pro’ player should not focus more than:
    * 0-1 seconds per attempt to succeed a 5-second-jump when the player wants to relax.
    * 1-2 seconds per attempt to succeed a 5-second-jump when the player want to have a challenging speedrun.
    * 2-3 seconds per attempt to succeed a 5-second-jump when the player wants to have a tryhard speedrun or to ‘just’ play a challenging route.
    * 3-4 seconds per attempt to succeed a 5-second-jump when the player wants to have an ultra tryhard speedrun or to ‘just’ play a tryhard route.
    * 4-5 seconds per attempt to succeed a 5-second-jump when the player wants to ‘just’ play an ultra tryhard route.